In case y’all forgot, I hate hills. I’ve always hated hills. Not much has changed.
I hung out with my Runner Mom (RM) friend, Angelina today. We spoke earlier in the week and she suggested we take a walk if the weather was nice. The weather was nice. I wore my fancy new running shoes, because motivation, right?
What she did not tell me was that she lived in the Trango Towers subdivision. Holy shit. HILLS FOR DAYS – and apparently we didn’t even go the super hilly way. Which is probably for the best because I don’t believe they send SAG Wagons for neighborhood walks.
There is nothing more motivating to get fit again than someone asking you how C25K is going while you’re crawling up a hill, trying to catch your breath. I believe the conversation went something like this:
RM: How’s C25K going?
Me: *pant* It’s not. *gasp* I have no motivation to bundle Monster up and get out there.
And it’s not going. I haven’t run since then. Ugh. I have SO many
reasons excuses for not having run. The main one being that it’s a lot of fucking work with a baby. Like a lot of work.
This is how running goes for kidless people:
- Pick out cute running attire
- Lace up cute running shoes
- Go for a run
This is how it goes for moms:
- Rummage through old cute running attire
- Try to stuff all of your new floppy mom skin into your old compression tights
- Lose feeling in legs
- Change into maternity leggings (they kinda look athletic, right?)
- Determine your bra already smells like sour milk so you might as well not dirty a new one
- Throw on a dirty shirt
- Bundle Baby up
- Strap Baby into carrier,
- Try to figure out if Baby is screaming because she’s in the carrier or for some other reason
- Awkwardly get 45lb jogging stroller out
- Put carrier into stroller
- Try to calm said screaming Baby
- Determine Baby has a wet diaper
- Get carrier out of stroller
- Remove Baby from the carrier
- Unbundle Baby
- Change Baby
- Calm Baby
- Rebundle Baby
- Strap Baby back into carrier
- Get carrier back into the stroller
- Look at watch and realize Baby will want to eat in approximately 5 minutes
- Say fuck it
- Skip run/walk
Anyhow, I was shocked when RunnerMom told me we’d only gone ome mile. I was seriously struggling and sweating like a whore in church.
I sweat. I sweat just thinking about sweat. Which is always so awkward and uncomfortable. I looked like I had just stepped out of the shower. I was losing layers of clothing and watching the sweat just drip down my chest. It’s perfectly acceptable to sweat like this after a fantastic spin class, it’s a little weird when it’s after you’ve just walked one friggin mile in a brisk 50 degree weather.
I pulled all of these out yesterday, as I do realize that I NEED to be active for my own mental health. It’s my therapy. It’s my anti depressant. I need to find a DVD player to put in the spare room so I can put Brooke on her play mat and do work. This seems like it should be somewhat easier than trying to get the whole stroller together. At least until she’s a little older, or the weather is a little nicer…or I stop making excuses.
It’s not running and it’s not cycling and it’s not outside, but it’s something. And I need to accept that something is better than nothing…because panting up a hill isn’t my cup of tea anymore. I’m not that chick that gets easily winded from walking up a hill anymore and I refuse to be her again. So, Jillian Michaels, I hate you, but I will start letting you yell at me again.
Alas, my near death experience climbing the hills in RunnerMom’s neighborhood was well worth with it as I had the experience I think I’ve been needing to remind myself that my chubby bunny ass needs to move more…and not to mention, there’s nothing better than watching these two little cuties hang out.