Now, this is a story all about how
My snacks got flipped-turned upside down
And I’d like to take a minute, just sit right there,
I’ll tell you how my snacks are more than just air.
In East Dekalb born and raised,
Losin’ weight is how I spend most of my days.
Eatin’ out, muchin’, snackin’ all cool
And all devouring fake crap just like a fool.
When a couple of snacks that weren’t even that good
Started makin hunger like I knew they would.
I had one little binge and my scale got scared.
It said, “you’re lookin’ up real foods made of more than just air.”
THAT JUST HAPPENED. YOU ARE WELCOME.
But y’all, I have a serious problem. A serious first world problem. My snack life.
What I’ve realized is that the more “filler” crap I eat, the hungrier I am. As much as I love every single bite of my beloved Fiber One Brownie and blueberries yesterday afternoon, I realized 30 minutes later when my stomach was growling that they don’t hold me for long. I started doing research and all of the lists I keep finding are super high in carbs – (healthy or not) and not very high in protein or fiber.
The Weight Watchers list of Simple Start snacks, for the most part are relatively unimpressive:
Mixed fresh vegetables. Wtf? Where is the rest?
Cappuccino. No, just no.
Fresh Fruit Salad. I can has protein, too?
On the Googles and Pinterest I’m seeing this shit:
Unsweetened dried pineapple and mango. – Oh hai sugar rush, please spike everything in my body so I eat all the foods ever in approximately 3 minutes.
Unsweetened applesauce – Is this serious? This can’t be serious.
Dehydrated Green Beans – Okay, come on. Is this real life now?
And not to mention the countless suggestions of pringles sticks (only 2pp! ERMAGHERD!) and 2 oreos are only 4pp!
Y’all, I just can’t… I’m getting hungrier just typing. So, yeah, sure, they might be tasty, but I’ll be hungry again before I even get the last of said snack in my mouth.
So, I’m working on a legit list of snacks that aren’t crazy high in points, and might actually keep me satisfied until my next real meal instead of eating fake food, or even worse, just foraging for whatever I can find, taking a few bites and then being like, “Crap…outta points, chubby bunny” with zero sense of satisfaction, let alone being full. The most I’m typically willing to dish out for a snack is 4-5p, which means it needs to be a damn good snack for all that.
I don’t follow Simply Filling to the dot mostly because bourbon and butter are not on the list of Power Foods, but most of my choices are Simply Filling options – which basically means they’re real, whole, unprocessed foods. I really do try to live by the “if I can’t read it, don’t eat it” philosophy, but in full disclosure, sometimes processed crap is easier. If I’ve learned anything in the last 4 years of weight loss, it’s that REAL food keeps you fuller for longer. I need to remember that. They should call that shit “Simply Full” instead. Additionally, I’ve also realized is that I need to change my interpretation of the traditional “snack” food concept and view it more like a mini meal.
So, here’s my list of 10 FILLING, real food snacks that won’t break the bank on points.
- 5pp 1 Boiled egg (2), cheese (2), 7 almonds (1), 1/2c cucumbers (0pp)
177kcal / 5carbs / 13g fat / 13g protein / 1g fiber
- 5pp Small Potato (138g = 3pp) w/ 3tbsp Daisy Light Sour Cream (2pp) and Chives
224kcal / 32carbs / 8g fat / 6g protein / 3g fiber
- 5pp ½ c. couscous (2pp) with 1tsp EVOO (1pp), cucumbers, tomato, red onion, 1oz reduced fat feta (2pp) and 1tbsp chopped olives (1pp)
213kcal / 22g carbs / 11 g fat / 8g protein / 1g fiber
- 4pp Light English Muffin (2pp) w/ 1 tbsp tomato sauce (0pp) and 1/4c. Fat free ricotta (1pp) and drizzle of RF Ranch (1pp)
190kcal / 34g carb / 4g fat / 12g protein / 9g fiber
- 4pp – Quesadilla – Ole Extreme Wellness Tortilla (1pp), 1/3 c. black beans (1pp), 1/4c reduced fat shredded cheddar (2pp)
259kcal / 30g carbs / 6g fat / 17g protein / 14g fiber
- 3pp Light English Muffin (2pp) w/ 2oz Boars Head Deli Turkey (1pp), lettuce, tomato, onion, and spicy mustard (0pp) and carrots (0pp)
176kcal / 28g carbs / 2g fat / 17g protein / 8g fiber
- 3pp Light English Muffin (2pp) w/ 1tbsp tomato sauce (0pp) and 2tbsp. Park Skim Mozz (1pp) and turkey pepperoni (4 slices = 0pp)
177 kcal / 30g carbs / 6g fat / 12g protein / 9g fiber
- 3pp Stir Fry – 4oz chicken breast (3pp), shredded cabbage, zucchini, carrots, onions, celery, mushrooms, sprouts, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, etc – seasoned with ginger and soy sauce (0pp).
195 kcal / 12g carbs / 4g fat / 32g protein / 4g fiber
- 3pp – ½ c 2% cottage cheese with dry ranch seasoning mixed it (2pp) and veggies to dip (0pp) and 1/2oz pretzels (1pp)
183kcal 4g fat / 28g carbs / 13g protein / 3g fiber
- 2pp Weight Watchers 0 point Vegetable soup with ½ c. kidney beans (2pp)
185 kcal 1g fat / 34g carbs / 12g protein / 11g fiber
***If you input the nutritional info listed it WILL give you a higher point value because I included all of the veggies in the nutritional value. Not all of us count points.***
But seriously, is it snack time yet?